In view of the directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in SLP No. 24295 of 2006 dated 16-05-2007 and in Civil Appeal number 887 of 2009, dated 08-05-2009 to prohibit, prevent and eliminate the scourge of ragging including any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student, or indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student or asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student, with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student, in all higher education institutions in the country, and thereby, to provide for the healthy development, physically and psychologically, of all students, the All India Council for Technical Education,(AICTE) brings forth these Regulations.
The important functions of Anti Ragging Committee are as follows :
- Anti ragging committee is responsible for forming an “Ant-ragging Flying Squad” and also form a duty chart for each and every members of the flying squad.
- Ensure anti ragging instructions are displayed at prominent places including bus, canteen and hostels.
- To take cognizance of any breach of discipline and suggest immediate disciplinary action in such cases.
- To implement and coordinate anti-ragging measures.
- To decide the quantum of punishment to be imposed on the erring students.
- To conduct enquiries of the defaulter students against individual/ collective indiscipline.
- Collection of relevant evidences of incidence of indiscipline.
- To take preventive steps such as issue of notices, warnings, instructions, regulating certain actions etc. against individual or collective indiscipline.
- Chairman of the Anti ragging Committee will brief all members of Anti Ragging and Flying Squad about their duties/action regarding anti ragging.
- The members of the Ant-ragging Flying Squad” will carryout regular checks for any Ragging activity in their areas.
- They will carryout surprise checks in probable areas of ragging.
- In case of any ragging incidence noticed on the spot, assessment of the incidence be made and necessary action to be taken and inform the Anti ragging Committee Chairman/Principal immediately in given Performa.