The History of Mankind is also the History of Technology. Any culture moves forward at a rhythm imposed by its technology. Scientific knowledge itself requires a pre-existing technological substratum in order to move forward. Political and military affairs are also underpinned by technological development. Economic history goes hand in hand with the technological development, products and transport that make trade possible. On both a large and small scale, Engineering takes advantage of the existing technology of every period and makes it tangible. Engineering makes technological knowledge a reality and places it at the service of society by creating useful objects.
Engineering is the applied arm of science and therefore requires an understanding of traditional science and maths as well as an understanding of techniques and application in real world systems and devices. The mechanical engineer applies this understanding to synthesize new products that benefit humanity. In other words, engineers use maths and science to come up with creative solutions to problems. Mechanical engineering is built upon three main areas of study: thermal and fluid science, mechanical systems, and design and manufacturing.
The profession of mechanical engineering is very broad, with practitioners employed in most areas of technological and industrial management endeavor. Examples of industrial employers which require mechanical engineering background are: process industries including pulp and paper, steel, aluminum, food, petroleum, chemicals and others; manufacturing industries including highway vehicles, instruments, airplanes, rockets and engines, toys, agricultural machinery, and many others; power plants including steam, nuclear, and hydroelectric plants; federal laboratories performing a wide variety of defense and nondefense related engineering design, analysis, and experimental work; and a wide variety of consulting work including heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system design, and forensic.
It is the mechanical engineer's responsibility and challenge to conceive, plan, design, and perform analysis and testing related to devices, machines and systems used by or manufactured by the employer. This work may include liaison with other engineers, engineering technologists, technicians, outside vendors and departments within the company. Areas of responsibility following design and prototype testing may include direction of a manufacturing line. It should be evident that career opportunities abound within this very wide array of employers and engineering activities. The job market for engineers often follows the nation's economy in general. In spite of these natural fluctuations, however, it is expected that our nation will always depend on uses of technology for creating an improved standard of living and a more efficient industrial base to maintain and enhance international competitiveness. Therefore, we can expect that mechanical engineering graduates will have excellent employment opportunities. Course requirements include mathematics, basic sciences (physics and chemistry), engineering design; arts, diversity, humanities and social sciences and at least one year of engineering science. The program also includes engineering graphics, statistics, computer application, solid mechanics, materials science, manufacturing processes, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, electronics and design of structural, mechanical, and energy systems.
To create globally competent mechanical engineers capable of working in an interdisciplinary environment contributing to society through innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership.
- Nurture the students with a global outlook for a sustainable future.
- Produce engineers with high moral and ethical values.
- To prepare students competent to build their career in mechanical engineering.
- To provide value education to students to make them responsible citizens.
- To strengthen collaboration with industries academia and research organizations to enrich learning environment to enhance research culture.
- To be recognized as a leading mechanical engineering department in the field of knowledge skill and research.
- To develop industry oriented manpower to accept the challenge of globalization.
- Imparting mechanical engineering knowledge through trained faculty in conductive environment.
- Creating awareness about the needs of mechanical industries through alumni industry-institution interactions.
- Encouraging them to think innovatively and introduce them to various research activities.
- Supporting them to groom in all aspects like communication, interpersonal skills.
Scope of Employment:
- In a wide range of exciting industries including Aerospace, Automotive, Biomedical, Chemical, Computers, Electronics, Fossil and Nuclear power, Manufacturing Pharmaceuticals, Robotics and Textiles.
- In areas of research & development, design, testing & evaluation, manufacturing operation and maintenance , marketing, sales and administration .
- In public sector units like Railways ONGC, INDIAN OIL, ISRO SAIL NTPC, DRDO AND IAF.